Ahh…Spring is here. Time to enjoy a rebirth; not only for the beautiful foliage, The Masters, and longer days, but also for you ankles. #SansSocks weather is back, so let’s take full advantage. A lot of your loafers and sandals have found their way to the back of the closet. It’s time to take stock, clean out, and replace your Spring footwear where necessary.
Taking Stock: What do you need for Spring (and Summer)? A couple good pairs of loafers, casual and dress, some drivers, some new running shoes (since all of us stuck to our New Years’ resolution of getting more active), and a good pair of sandals. Don’t forget a new pair of golf shoes. Almost all should be appropriate with shorts. All should be appropriate without socks.
Clean Out: Any shoes that you haven’t worn in a year, dump. Give them to your brother or sell them on Ebay. Any shoes that are ‘broken’ beyond repair, like worn soles/heels or golf shoes that aren’t doing it for you. It’s a value proposition game: is resoling worth it? Don’t forget: any sandals that would require a hazmat suit for removal need to be burned. Immediately.
Replace: Make sure you have the staples. Loafers, both driving, casual, and dress. Running shoes that don’t give you an excuse, sandals that are age-appropriate for the pool/beach/bar, and golf shoes.
Here’s what I’ve got my eye on:
From top left:
1. Genuine Crocodile Loafers from Kevin’s: I need to up my skin game. I have always admired crocodile loafers, but I’ve never pulled the trigger. These from Kevin’s are cost-friendly (compared to some), and have a handsome style that can be dressed up or down.
2. Asics Gel Kayano 23: I actually do need to replace my running shoes, and I really want to avoid any sort of neon that has unfortunately become popular among the athletic set. This isn’t a black and white picture, it’s the actual color (or lack thereof) of these running shoes. Well done, Asics.
3. Rancourt Boothbay Loafers: I 100% approve of suede in the Spring and Summer. That’s one rule I don’t follow. I think the texture is nice, and it breaks in really well.
4. Rainbow Natural Hemp Fish Sandals: I’ve done Havaianas and standard Rainbows for the past few years. Let’s mix it up a little this year.
5. Res Ipsa Kilim Loafers: You know I’m going to include these. Haven’t pulled the trigger yet? Get on board…once you start, you won’t stop. I’ve got a few pairs, and am always looking to add more…
6. Onward Reserve Lace Drivers: GREAT drivers at a very reasonable price. These are 2-year shoes. They should be beat to hell after two years. Never wear these with socks. Ever. Clean and polish once every quarter.
7. Ecco Cool GTX Golf Shoes: I tried on my first pair of Eccos a couple weeks ago, and was amazed at how comfortable these are. My dad swears by them, and I’m about to get on board. What took me so long?
8. Salvatore Ferragamo Mason Gold Bit Loafers: I have a few pairs of tassel loafers, but they are almost a bit ‘heavy’ for Spring and Summer. These bits from Ferragamo are perfect. Pair them with navy, khaki, or white, and you are in business. Keep these fresh and clean…
What did I miss?