The #menswear ethos is a funny place. There is a lot of emphasis placed on F/W (Fall/Winter for humans). This is understandable, as sport coats, sweaters, pants, and suits become a larger part of the conversation. I do enjoy the Fall and Winter styles, but I also like S/S (again, humans: Spring/Summer). It’s a rebirth. It’s brighter. It’s more aligned with running around and getting out of the house. This year, I’m drawn to a new sort of inspiration… sort of a ‘what’s old is new again’:
This Spring, let’s look to the old Ralph Lauren ads of the 80s and 90s. Simple, preppy, and classic:
I’m advocating for a more basic style this Spring. It’s been so loud the last few years, how about we bring it back to center. Grab some pieces that work together, or work alone. More to the point: these pieces never go out of style, and you can wear them forever. Here’s the rundown:
From top left:
1. Classic Braves Hat: A classic Navy blue dad hat that goes with everything. It’s no coincidence that Opening Day is a few short weeks away…
2. Brooks Brothers Wide Stripe Oxford: Maybe Brooks Brothers heard my message…please produce this shirt in a must-iron version. And it’s awesome. I promise you don’t have one like this in your closet, and I promise that you’ll end up wearing it all the time.
3. Ledbury Navy Wellington Sport Coat: An updated version of the classic Navy blazer. Gone are the gold buttons and shoulder pads, allowing for a more updated fit, cooler fabric, and soft shoulders. It goes with everything, so wear it with everything.
4. Persol 649 Sunglasses: The classic of classics. Cool shades that look great with a suit or with a swimsuit.
5. Onward Reserve Shotshell Belt: Sure, you had a shotshell belt in college. Time to start wearing out a new one.
6. Sporting Gent Holston Jeans: You all know I’m really picky when it comes to jeans, and I’m very proud to have these here. Full review coming soon.
7. Carhartt Gilliam Vest: I know, everyone has Patagonia. Be a little different, and a little more practical. You won’t believe the price on this guy…
8. Holderness & Bourne Ward Sweater: An updated take on the old Champion sweatshirts. Wear this like a sweater
9. Rolex Datejust: Two Tone is underplayed.
10. Criquet Shirts Long Sleeve Player’s Shirt: The coolest layer this side of Austin, TX. A Player’s shirt with working cuffs? Bring it.
11. Ledbury Gingham Buttondown: Every outfit needs a tablecloth shirt.
12. Duck Head Green Badge Chinos: Any Ivy outfit needs a great pair of khakis. Take care of these. Cuff them if you like – go 1.75″ with no break for a killer look with these loafers:
13. Ralph Lauren Marlow Cordovan Penny Loafers: A splurge? Of course, but these are shell cordovan and a classic full-strap penny loafer. They will literally NEVER go out of style.
14. La Matera Azulo Belt: A little belt flare. Nothing wrong with that. It provides a little character.
15. Forrest Lennard Feather Sucker White Oxford: A GREAT white oxford is a must for any spring wardrobe. If you aren’t wearing this twice a week then you aren’t doing it right.
16. Res Ipsa Silk Rug Loafers: The silk is such a nice touch…add a little color to a khakis/white oxford/sweater look. You’ll be the coolest guy in the room.
What are you digging this Spring?
P L E A S E S U P P O R T O U R P A R T N E R S :