My guess is that the majority of us don’t wear a bullet proof vest everyday. While the necessity to stop stray bullets may not be a daily requirement, the ability to stay warm and look good is always at the top of the list. This is where tweed jackets enter the picture. Probably one of the most versatile pieces in your wardrobe, a tweed jacket is an absolute must have for guys.
First, they are very warm. They are made of a thick wool tweed, and do a great job of blocking the wind. The jackets are a great layer of warmth, and can be worn over a dress shirt and sweater (see #2 below) or alone with a tie (#1, #4, and #7). Besides all the functionality that tweed jackets provide, they look great. There really isn’t a plaid that hasn’t been tweeded up for a jacket. The vast majority are seasonal, with darker hues and checks blending in to the cold surroundings. Some tweed jackets are solid, but the texture gives them depth; much more so than a navy blazer.
I have a collection of tweed jackets that makes Mrs. RCS want to call Hoarders. I don’t care…I wear them all the time. Honestly, I wear them with everything – the only caveat being that I wear solids underneath the jacket. No bold plaids, as not to look like a 70’s lounge. Maybe a tattersall shirt. As with everything else we wear: fit is key. Be sure that they aren’t too boxy, but give yourself an extra inch in the chest to account for that sweater. Oh – and extra points for leather buttons.
From Top Left:
1. J. Crew Ludlow Tweed Jacket: A good example of a solid tweed. For the more conservative, anti-plaid type. The grey will work with everything, and the Ludlow cut is excellent for an OTR option.
2. Harris Tweed Taransay Wool Sport Coat: Olive tweed herringbone with a faint orange windowpane? Yeah – that’ll work.
3. L.L. Bean Slim Fit Signature Tweed Sport Coat: LL Bean is an excellent source for tweed, and this glen plaid option is outstanding. Not only is it offered in a slim fit, it is also on sale…and a GREAT price.
4. Bloomingdale’s Harris Tweed Jacket: An example of the tweeds available on Ebay. Just be sure to know your measurements, and check the return policy. If it all lines up, you can find some AWESOME deals on Ebay.
5. Orvis Laksen Dorset Tweed Jacket: For a more sporty look, opt for the collar button and leather elbow patches like this jacket from Orvis. Gold star for the ticket pocket.
6. Harris Tweed Shop Patrick Jacket: This has everything you’d ever need from a tweed jacket: an awesome check, great fit, leather buttons, and shipping from across the pond.
7. O’Connell’s Grey Herringbone Harris Tweed Sport Coat: I’d venture that O’Connell’s is THE place for tweed in the States. This is the iconic Grey Herringbone pattern that your Grandfather wore…it hasn’t, and won’t, go out of style.
8. Brooks Brothers Harris Tweed Blackwatch Plaid Sport Coat: Tweed + Blackwatch Plaid = Yes.
What’s even better? Most of them are on sale now…so stock up.