Going to The Masters is a big deal. Lucking out with a badge for a chance to set foot on the hallowed grounds…it’s fair to say that being a patron is a bucket-list item. I’ve had the pleasure to go quite a few times, and it never gets old.
I get asked by a lot of guys: ‘what do I wear to Augusta National?’. Fair question. My feeling is that it comes from a place of not screwing up vs. literally not knowing what to wear. Having been quite a bit, I’m happy to give some advice:
1 Comfort is key. You will be walking…A LOT. Take care of your feet.
2. You are a patron, not a player. I’ve seen guys show up dressed like peak Rickie Fowler. Don’t do that. Augusta National isn’t a place where ‘standing out’ is the goal.
3. Go light on logos – especially from places where you aren’t a member. I was in line next to a guy wearing a shirt from a very private, very prestigious club. A guy walked up to him and asked him who he was playing with at the Member-Member. It didn’t end well.
Here’s what I’d recommend:
From top left:
1. Holderness & Bourne Taylor Shirt: A comfortable shirt that isn’t too loud. Go tech or tech blend. We usually clock about five miles, so sweat could be a thing.
2. Onward Reserve UGA National Championship Hat: You’ve got to have a hat – the sun can get brutal. Go with a relatively generic logo or from a club where you are a member. Tour visors are OK here as well.
3. Warby Parker Hatcher Sunglasses: Good sunglasses that aren’t too expensive…in case they get dropped or lost.
4. Duck Head Gold School 7″ Chino Shorts: Easy on the shorts. Wear something comfortable that has a back pocket.
5. Sea Island Seersucker Belt: Have fun here (you’ll always hear me pushing for some waist flare). However – same rules as #3 above…folks notice logos.
6. Peter Millar Forge Quarter-Zip: You’ll probably need an additional layer if you are sweeping the dew or hanging out until the last group putts out on 18.
7. Swiftwick Golf Socks: You know what makes comfortable shoes even more comfortable? Good socks. Trust me.
8. True Linkswear Knit IIs: I’ve been wearing mine for a couple of weeks now, and I’m convinced these would be great for The Masters.
9. TSG Packable Rain Shell: Think ahead – there aren’t a lot of places to hide from the elements. Wear this into the round and stash it in your bag after you hit the merch tent.
What did I miss?