So all of you know, Father’s Day is Sunday, June 19th. Don’t forget your old man. You and I both know that he isn’t going to give you any hints, much less a list for a Father’s Day gift. Lucky for you, I’m here to help.
The common denominator for all Father’s Day gifts should be this: something they wouldn’t buy for themselves. The idea is to give him something that he wants, but he just doesn’t know it yet. These gifts will turn out to be the most appreciated, and will end up getting the most use. Remember, time is the best gift you can give your dad. So in addition to something material (below), pair it with tickets to a ballgame (preferably a minor league game), a round of golf, or a fishing trip out on the lake. Good old fashioned father-son time is hard to beat.
Back to the task at hand:
From top left:
1. Randolph Engineering Concord Sunglasses: Your dad deserves a great pair of sunglasses. Aviators are about as cool as it gets, so hook him up if he doesn’t have a pair. If he does, get him some Wayfarers.
2. Tilley Airflow Hat: Hell, I’m getting on board with the Tilley Airflow hats. They are incredible…and will see tons of use at the beach this summer. Get your dad one and watch it become his favorite as well.
3. Jackson Cannon Bar Knife: You know, for cutting limes. It’s almost G&T o’clock.
4. Wild Turkey Master’s Keep 17 Bourbon: There aren’t many bourbons I’d spend this much money on, but it’s getting rave reviews. Your old man would appreciate it…and the bottle will look good on his bar.
5. Orvis drirelease Zip-Neck Long Sleeve Casting Shirt: I gave one of these shirts to my dad last year, and he loves it. He wears it all the time – walking the dog, hanging out on the back deck, and fishing on the St. John river. I’m spreading the wealth to you readers.
6. Ratio Clothing Greenport Madras Shirt: There is something about an awesome madras shirt that works. It has to be long sleeve (with the sleeves rolled up), and lightly pressed. Your dad will figure that out as soon as he has a chance to wear this bad boy.
7. Smathers & Branson Bourbon Belt: A bourbon belt for a bourbon drinker. Your dad could pull this off. You know it.
8. Titleist Pro V1x Golf Balls: The best golf balls are ones you receive as a gift…especially Pro V1x’s. It doesn’t hurt your wallet as bad when you send one deep into the woods, just your soul.
9. SOG Toothlock Knife: Nothing like having a vicious pocket knife handy for menial household tasks. This knife sends a message…and scares the kids. Check and check.
10. iGrill2 Bluetooth Thermometer: Since your dad just figured out how to use an iPhone with some veracity, why not get him a meat thermometer that has a app? Test not only his technical skills, but his meat smoking skills as well.
11. Filson Packer Wallet: His first response will be ‘I already have a wallet’. Then he’ll notice that his current, beat up model is in serious need of an upgrade. See, you win again…
12. Adidas Original Adelitte Sandels: Dads are creatures of habit. My dad has been wearing Adelittes for years, and they start to show some wear after a few years. Replace them with a fresh set and he’ll be high-stepping again.
13. Yeti Hopper 20 Cooler: These coolers are great, and the 20 is PERFECT for the golf cart. Not that your dad is going to pound a beer a hole, but this gives him the opportunity to keep them cold for a week or so.
14. Genuine Alligator Cigar Case from Tampa Fuego: For the dad that kicked some serious ass this year. How great would it be to walk his cigars around in this case? He’ll be the envy of all his cohorts…
What am I missing? What’s on the docket for your dad on Father’s Day?