The pools are about to open, and the temperature at the beach getting close. It’s time to start thinking about that base tan, guys. It also means it’s time to get a new swimsuit (or two). Hopefully you’ve moved on from swimming in cut off jeans or your OP trunks from back in ’86. If not, or if you are just looking for some good options, here are a few that’ll steer you in the right direction.
When thinking about swimsuits, here are a few hints: first, think about your body type. Dad bods usually do better with non-elasticized waists. Second, Know your style. If you are a conservative dresser, go solid(ish). If you don’t mind pushing the envelope, push the envelope. Lastly, inseam length is a personal preference, but I’d recommend ensuring that your knees get a tan, too. Here’s what has my eye:
From top left:
1. Orlebar Brown Swim Shorts: Super nice trunks that have a European feel. The fabrics are as nice as you’ll find anywhere, and the designs are pretty progressive. I really like their solids.
2. Onward Reserve Gingham Swimsuit: Great price point for some excellent trunks. Very versatile, as gingham tends to be. Pair them with a t-shirt and flip flops and you are good for the bar. Pair them with a solid polo and Swims and you are good for lunch.
3. Strong Boalt Mosaic Boardshorts: I can’t say enough good things about Strong Boalt. I’m 100% on board with their Hybrid shorts, as well as their board shorts. The designs are just right. Very Palm Beach.
4. Vilebriquin Depths of the Sea Trunks: Showy, but in an acceptable way. Vilebriquin have some wild designs, and that’s what they are known for. For the guy who drives an expensive convertible.
5. Original Penguin Colorblock Swimsuit: The good folks at Penguin make a really solid swimsuit. The inseams aren’t too long, and they are ALWAYS on sale. Great value options.
6. Columbia Backcast III Water Shorts: The best value you’ll find. The cut is great and the inseam is a very appropriate 5″. Great color options…good for the boat or the beach.
7. Southern Marsh Austin Tie Dye Trunks: How can a pair of tie dye trunks be bad? THEY CAN’T. Built for a long day in the sun with your bluetooth speaker and a cooler full of the Silver Bullet.
8. Solid & Striped Yellow Stripe Trunks: The Solid & Stripe folks make some really killer striped suits – including a bunch of bengal stripe options. These yellow stripes are a cool, classic option for a traditional guy.
9. Sundek Classic Board Shorts: Another hidden gem of swimsuits. They have a California-cool retro vibe. A very good cut for the ‘dad bod’; six pack not required. Lots of cool color options.
Did I miss anything?