The pastels of Spring have finally been put to bed. Summer is drawing to a close, and in less than 30 days toe meets leather. That means Fall is officially here. Finally.
Even though the summer months are winding down, it’s still hot. For a late-summer look, go light. And by ‘light’, I mean in fabric only. Natural cottons and linens will keep you cool. Since fall is just around the corner, start incorporating some bold colors into the pallet. And by ‘bold’, I’m not talking about the deep, Earthy hues of Fall, but colors that actually look like colors. Texture is good, too. There is a right way to do it, and a wrong way. Here’s how to do it right:
From top Left:
1 Read Wall Spread Collar Blue Gingham Sport Shirt: After fabric and construction, the keys to a good dress shirt are fit and versatility. The spread collar looks great with or without a tie. For this look, go for the open collar look, with an undone button or two. The blue gingham is a good look for this time of year, especially with #5.
2. Boast X Red’s Outfitters Sunglasses: Of course you still need sunglasses, as it doesn’t get dark until 8:30-9PM. Something light like these Red’s sportsman aviators they did for Boast will do the trick.
3. Corneliani Linen Sport Coat: Don’t get lazy in the heat. Dress like a man, which includes a sport coat. This time of year, linen is the way to go. A good tan coat will be transitional through September, and the color is extremely versatile. It’s essentially a blank pallet, so dress this one up with #7.
4. Tory Leather Hoof Pick Belt: This is one of the best deals on the Internet. Amazon doesn’t disappoint. The hoof pick is such a versatile belt, and the oakbark color is the perfect mid-brown for the summer-to-fall transition. I prefer the nickel buckle with this one, and the brass buckle with the darker leather. Either way is a winner.
5. Locksicker Milky Way Denim Jeans: Of course you have white Levi’s 501s. We all do. This time of year, go with something off white. These Locksickers are just about perfect, and the 9.5oz denim will be comfortable, but still hold their shape.
6. Res Ipsa Kilim Loafers: Bold flare isn’t only for ties and pocket squares. We continually preach the good word about the kilim loafers from Res Ipsa, and that won’t stop any time soon. Time to bring out the bold footwear. Let these loafers be the loud part of the outfit and go with subdued/solid shirt/pants/jacket.
7. Sid Mashburn Hand Rolled Pocket Square: Well, a pocket square can be a bold touch, too (along with #6). Be sure to bring a pocket square that doubles as a handkerchief to rid yourself of any pesky forehead perspiration, rather than using the sleeve of your jacket. She will thank you as well.
8. Rolex Oyster Perpetual Day-Date Green Stella Watch: The Rolex Stella watches are the ultimate bold flavor (see a nice collection here). I’d argue that anyone looking for a #2 watch should seriously consider one of these…the color on the face gives the watch such a unique touch, even if you aren’t comfortable wearing this one every day.