I absolutely love my wife. I’m not starting this post with that sentence because it’s about Valentine’s Day. I really do. I asked her “Honey, what do women want for Valentine’s Day?”. She looked at me, adoringly, and said: “Easy. Diamonds and champagne”. Simple. Elegant. She’s a good woman.
It’s a common theme that us guys are hard to buy for. That’s why I put so many looks and gift guides on this blog. While V-day is really about the ladies, the guys usually get a little something, too. Now, this year I’m making a call to all you guys, and couples for that matter – spend less on Valentine’s Day gifts and spend more time together. Enjoy that day with your significant other. It doesn’t have to be some elaborate dinner/date/etc. (well, it probably will be if you’ve been dating less than six months, but we’ve all been there). Otherwise, go find a walk to take. An old movie to pop in the VHS. Maybe a card game and a bottle of wine. Cook an amazing meal together. Whatever. Make sure you put the love back where it belongs.
With that said, there may still be some exchanging, and so ladies, here are some 100% sure-thing gifts for the man in your life:
From top left:
1. Hamilton Khaki Field Watch: What is it about a field watch that is so sharp? The ultimate utility player in his watch rotation. It works at the ball game, at the office, on the course, and at church. And there’s nothing better than seeing him wear it all the time.
2. La Matera Pinamar Belt: Something spring-y to add to his waist-flare rotation will be much appreciated. Yes, he is cool enough to pull this off.
3. Vintage Decanter: A very classy gift. Give him a reason to show off his goods in something you wouldn’t mind showing it off in.
4. Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Putter: Every guy says he loves his own putter, until you give him this one. Scotty’s are the Cadillac.
5. Bialetti 9-cup Moka Express Espresso Maker: For the more refined gentleman. This is for the guy who enjoys the morning paper before work.
6. Yeti 30 oz. Rambler: Great way to keep the hots hot and the colds cold. Do not get it monogrammed for him. He’s not going through sorority rush, so no need.
7. Orvis Trout Bum Quilted Snap Sweatshirt: Yes, he has a couple of these, but there’s always room for one more. This one from Orvis is washable and soft, so it’ll double has her pillow on road trips.
8. Poler Bear 24-Pack Solar Cooler: I got one of these at the Atlanta Charity Clays event last year, and absolutely love it. I have a hard time advising spending more than $100 on a cooler, unless you are doing some sort of science experiment on keeping ice for a month and a half. I use my freezer for that.
9. Buck X Ball and Buck Folding Hunter Knife: Maybe a little aggressive, but it’ll get used. Either in the field (as it’s intended) or as a letter opener. Whatever, it’s the thought that counts.
10. Col. Littleton Front Pocket Wallet: The monogram is a nice touch. He’ll think about you every time he looks at his wallet. Wait…that probably didn’t come out right…
11. Creature Comforts Tropicalia IPA: Is it weird to put beer on a Valentine’s Day gift guide? Not if it’s the extremely hard to find Tropicalia from Creature Comforts. This sweet nectar is harder to find than a needle in a haystack. Pulling this off is the stuff of legends.
12. Vintage Vinyl: This may take some digging, but this is the ‘cool’ gift. Beastie Boys is always an excellent choice.